Meet with Professor Moses on the 1st of June, it was my first day. She explained the
project to me, gave me papers the written on the project which i read throughout the first and second day.
She demonstrated an earlier version of the AFS to me. Later on during the week i met
with the rest of the team and Kenneth, the guy who wrote the present AFS am
working with, explained the code to me and showed me how to run it.
Started running the AFS and writing the AFSA to analyze the data from the AFS.
The biggest challenge i faced when i began writing the AFSA,
was figuring out how to convert the AFS data from string to integer.
Completed the first version of the AFSA, it wasn’t easy writing a standard deviation
function, it drove me a bit insane. I wrote the AFSA using C++ and i wrote the first version
in the client file, breaking every rule of OOP (Object Oriented Programming).
But i wrote it this way to get an idea of how the AFSA would work.
Professor Moses looked through my first set of results and noticed some discrepancies
with the Red experimental seeds; the results did not reflect their field observations.
While trying to figure out what was wrong, we realized i had used the wrong Genetic
Algorithm (G.A) parameters to run the AFS. I made the necessary corrections and was able
to re-run most of the simulations before the end of the week.
Finished redoing the simulations with the correct G.A parameters. Started writing the second
version of the AFSA this week and also working on automating the AFS.
With Kenneth's help, i was able to automate the AFS and it can now run as many times as we want it to run.
I have also completed the second version of the AFSA, all thats left is documentation on how the AFSA works
Automating the AFS was quiet a pain for the most part of the week but after our conference call with Prof Moses,
Kenneth and i double teamed on it and got it working in 3 hours,AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ran the AFS 50 times this week for each species, quiet a lot work, organizing the data generated
into files the AFSA could read from was time consuming, was thinking if it would be possible to write
a program that can do that? Once am done organizing, i will run the AFS another 50 times only this time,
the seeds will be placed in a specific place for each run.
Finished analyzing AFS runs from last week, worked on writing a program that can organize the results
from an automated run into seperate files. No success yet.
This week Professor Moses wanted me to use the distance parameters for Maricopa for Desetorum and Rugous,
varying the seed distribution for one set of runs and holding it constant for another set of runs.
I also started work on my final report this weekend
Finished analyzing the AFS runs i started last week for Desertorum and Rugosus, i went a step further by using
MatLab to plot the bar graph for the Mean and Standard Deviation of the Recruitment ratios for each species.
The resulting graphs gave me a clear cut idea of what the ants were doing as opposed to reading through tabulated
data and it is also easier on the eyes.