During this short week, I gave my final presentation for my advisor. I also wrapped up a few lose ends for my project. I will miss being here at Georgia Tech. All that I have learned this summer I will bring back to Rhodes College for the next academic year.
It seems like my time here at GA Tech. I have so far had quite a lot of fun and learned quite a bit of information. Since my time here is almost over, I have begun to write my final paper. I also went to support one of my lab mates by being present for her final presentation.
This week I tested the CPro sensors on the NAO. After executing the test multiple times, I was able to get consistent readings of the kicking based on the accelerometer and the gyroscope. I also did some updates on the app on the back end in order to make the app less clunky.
This week I did a lot of preparation for the meeting with the clinician on Wednesday. Meeting with her was very informative. She really put our project into prospective, especially pertaining to what still needed to be done as well as what she specifically wanted. Overall the feedback she gave was good. After my group left we all wondered how were we going to complete everything that she wanted before the end of the program. We talked to Dr. Howard our advisor and she reminded us that the project we were working on was only a prototype. It did not need to have all of the bells and whistles that the clinician wanted right away. After hearing that from her, we felt much better. We decide as a group to implement a few of the extra features that she wanted.
Also on the 16th the SURE Robotics at Georgia Tech as well as the DREU students went whitewater rafting in Ocoee, Tennessee! That was the first time I had ever done it. Luckily none of us fell off of the raft; however, at the end most of us decided to jump into the water to cool down. The experience was quite enjoyable and I would love to do that again!
As of Saturday, I finally did it! It finally puts the data elsewhere! Now I can do the placement of the CPro MetaWear sensors next week! Also my team and I are going to meet with the clinician who worked with Dr. Howard to create this project. We want to show her what we have so far. We also want to make sure that we are making what she wants. On July 6th we visited Cisco in Lawrenceville Georgia. Some of the products they showcased were very interesting.
This week was quite rough. No matter what I tried, it always ended in a brick wall…On the plus side we had some GRE prep in the middle of the week. The save function is still a problem. After doing some asking around someone gave me an idea of streaming the data to a url instead. I will be looking into this over the weekend.
This week I read more papers about experiments that dealt with the placement of wearable sensors for the lower half of the body and found something interesting: placing the sensors somewhere on the foot is a good place to get data on movement, that is if the sensor is small enough, which the MetaWear sensors that we are using are. Some of the other papers said to place the sensors around the knee to get the best data while some said to place them on the calf of the leg. I finally got both of the sensors to stream data at the same time! Sadly, I have to figure out a way to save the data which is a job for next week.
This week I ran into a slight problem. I found out that the app that we were using did not already allow for multiple sensors to be attached to the app and active at the same time. So, I took a good few days trying to figure out how to fix that. I found a temporary fix, but it’s not ideal. It involves having to know the exact MAC Address of each sensor and hardcoding it into the program. That’s not ideal nor is it practical. This coming week I’ll most likely be working on trying to get both sensors to take in data at the same time.
This week I have been working with two of the undergraduate students that are working on getting the sensors working properly. In doing so I had to learn Java. I now know the basics of Java in order to read the code within the app that the sensor connects to, in order to try and help fix the problem. As of Thursday the problem is now mostly fixed, so now I will be able to start my part of the project, which is the placement of the sensors next week. In the latter part of the week I have been drafting where the sensors could be placed in order to get optimal readings. If everything keeps going well, I should be able to start testing sometime next week!
During my first week at Georgia Tech, I met my mentor, Dr. Ayanna Howard, a few graduate students in my lab, as well as the undergraduate students that are in the same program that I am in (DREU) or in another program (SURE Robotics). Dr. Howard informed us about this summer’s project during our ten week visit. She told us that the project as a whole would be to create an Infant Smart-Mobile to help with the development of motor skills in infants which would help reduce the risk of developing cerebral palsy during their childhood. Each of the undergraduate students decided on which part of the project she would be working on. I decided to work with the placement of the sensors. Sadly, the sensors didn’t function as we needed them to, so me and two other undergraduates worked on that component of the project.