You can find my final report here:
This week I made my poster; I am going to present it in October at a computing convention.
You can find my final report here:
I don't think I will have enough time to run real experiments.
Here are some graphs showing the data I got from the "cone of confusion" thing I was doing. The red arrows are head and yellow is eyes. This data looks really good! So far it seems like the cone is 8 degrees but further testing is necessary.
I did a presentation on my experiment, here is the power-point I made for it:
This week I want to start my experiment.
I ran lots of real trials with people walking up and down the hallway to help Vicky decide how she wanted this experiment to work. We also got data involving a person looking at a second person being tracked. This is so we can make a "cone of confusion" to judge whether or not a participant is looking at the other person or not.
I changed my walking guy so that he stares at people within one and a half to five meters of himself. At more than five meters he looks straight ahead and at less than one and a half he looks towards his turning direction to signal to the viewer.
I've also made it so now two head mounts are tracked and recorded. The new one is for the second human participant and it will allow us to know if the first human is looking at the second one. Koorosh came in and wrote most of the code for this.
I also started writing the paper for this study
Vicky came back this week, but I didn't talk to her until the end of the week.
I want to start doing the experiments soon, I was ready as of last week but Vicky wants to change the experiment. I don't think I will start on that anytime soon.
Pokemon Go came out and everyone is playing it. I really like it too.
Some people in the group went with me to the mall of America. I liked the theme park but the mall it's self wasn't that big at all.
Started out the week spending an entire day fixing everything some kid broke during the weekend. not productive at all
I ran some practice trials on some lab mates to prepare for the actual experiment, worked with Mat lab more, and set up a brand-new 3-d printed tracker mount for the HMD I use.
I also wrote code in processing that will make an animation of the walking path and head rotation.
The tracker balls and code broke this week so I spend most of the time trying to fix things.
I also started working with matlab to analyze data.
The other REU students came this week so I went to their orientations. I was assigned a partner but he quit shortly after joining my group so now I have to do everything myself because all the other students already paired up. Vicky was here earlier in the week but she had to go to a three week conference soon after. I spent this week writing code and building environments in unity in preparation for running some experiments. I also set up the foam-core to be an imaginary hallway. By the end of this week I had pretty much all the resources and tools I needed set up.
I was the only DREU/REU student here during week 1. Monday was a holiday and Vicky had to go to a conference Tuesday so I depended on the Grad students for a lot of help. I spend all week getting the hardware, driver and software working. I had to find all the pieces that belonged to the EyeTracker and the HMD when the lab was very messy. I emailed AR to get the updated drivers for the EyeTracker and got that working, and cleaned up some code Koorosh gave me to connect the Vicon to my simulation in unity.
By the end of the week everything was set up to start the project