What I did
This first week has been quite an experience. I've been
welcomed into the world of computer science research. It's
great! First, I became acquainted with the system I'm working
on and attempted to figure out how to change the desktop. My
desktop still looks pretty much the same. I learned how to make
aliases for commands though.
I then was introduced to the world of HTML. This is it. This
webpage reflects what I've learned about HTML.
Escher Spheres! Wow! I began my research.
This week I worked on putting a Celtic Knot on an
Escher Sphere. Just when I thought I had it, I
crashed the program. That means I'll probably be
working on it next week as well. I also created
an animation. It was a lot of fun! The stop option
on the animation may or may not work properly. If
you're using Netscape, it should work. The go button
only works after you push stop.
I finally got my program not to crash with the Celtic knot. It needs
a lot of work though. I also learned how to get a picture of my
Escherspheres so I could put them on my web page. I presented to a
group the research paper by Jane Yen and Carlo Séquin on Escherspheres.
This week I was handed a new paper to present. It's actually
quite interesting, but I'll have to read it a few more times
before I start understanding much of what it says. The paper is
on silhouette clipping. I also created an echershere with two
shapes instead of one, but the shapes are connected at a point.
Being able to do this has removed restrictions that I thought I
I started on a project to code up methods of silhouette
clipping. There are basically five software methods of
silhouette clipping that I'm aware of. My project includes
attempting to code up four of the five methods and compare. I
am to keep track of the time it took me to code each one of them
up and write a paper to compare the methods. So far I've coded
one of them up, but haven't tested it. I also presented my
paper on Silhouette Clipping. It wasn't that much of a
presentation though because I hadn't been working on a
presentation for the paper. I had mostly been working on my
This week I read another paper on silhouettes. The method is
understandable, but some specifics I needed to code it up weren't
really there. I'm just for a reply from the author of the paper
so I understand better what his method is so I can code it up.
We have the first method almost all put together and working.
The Buchanan Sousa Method for finding silhouette edges finally
works. I do have to admit that we haven't tested it on large
models, but for now it works. I also looked into some of the
other methods this week and am trying to get them figured out.
On Thursday, I got pictures taken from a digital camera.
I finally figured out one of the three methods I have yet to
code up. I started the coding on it. All I have left to do on
it now is to finish coding and then make it work. Also, my
mentor is going to try to help me understand one of the
methods. My goal now is to get this project done by New Years.
This week I finished the coding and debugging on the Gooch-Sloan
method for silhouette extraction. Here's what the code does:
It reads in an object of type .obj and draws the silhouette
edges. The original model is drawn in yellow. The silhouette is
drawn in purple.
The debbuging for the Gooch-Sloan method for silhouette
extraction took me a lot less time than the debugging for the
Buchanan-Sousa method did.
I presented the paper "Illustrating Smooth Surfaces" by Aaron
Hertzmann and Denis Zorin. I spent the whole week preparing for
it. I still have a couple of silhouette methods left to code
up, but I'll do that Fall Semester.