I switched to making the graph using networkx and python because it's nice to be able to work with sets when I'm trying to filter out a lot of nodes. The nice thing is that you can export the graph, import it to R, and it graphs a lot faster with a significant number of the (useless) nodes removed. The one problem was that I thought graphml and gml were the same thing, so there was a really weird seg fault happening during the import/export.
Adding colors to the graph! We went to lunch with another lab group, which was really fun. Talked a lot about future plans... but I have plenty of time to decide if I want to pursue a masters/phD. The weather's been pretty cool the last few days, but I like that. Found out that some of the data I've been using may be unreliable, so I have to go back and fix my sql queries to join a few more tables together. Ugh the pain...
We discussed the timeline for our project... basically W5/6 should combine Candice and mine's work, W7/8 should be working on the web app, and W9/10 should be working on the paper. I'm so bad at writing papers... that's intimidating. After significantly reducing the number of nodes, graphing is going a lot faster but I'm still trying to come up with the right sql queries to get all the data. I think I need to get ride of nodes later in the analysis so the numbers are more accurate...
I had a meeting with Anna today and we discussed moving forward with the graphing. We want to graph the interactions between users with at least 3 infractions, to see if they influence each other in any way. We also want to see the interactions between users in a group without looking at the threads they posted to.