Computer Research Association Distributed Mentoring Project CRA - DMP
@ The University of Oklahoma, Summer 2006
MY SUMMER PROJECT
- University: Florida International University
- Major: Computer Science
- Minor: Physics
- Grade Level: Junior
- Nationality: Bulgarian
I plan to graduate in Summer 2007.
At Florida International University I am involved in the Tennis Club and the Society of Physics Students.
- Email: email@example.com
MY SUMMER PROJECT
Reinforcement Learning on the Bions
| Bions in the Lab
|| A bion, AVR programmer and a circuit. The circuit allows printf output to be displayed through a connection with a program called kermit.
|| A close look of an individual bion.
This summer I am participating in the DMP Program at the Stephenson Research Center, which should be part of Oklahoma University, but it is definitely not a walking distance away.
My mentor is Dr. Amy McGovern.
I am working on the bions and my project is to implement Reinforcement Learning on them. I am using Windows Virtual machine through Red Hat Linux OS and C programming language. The Bions have to be programmed in AVR Studio 4 IDE and that software can only be installed in Windows. So life gets complicated sometimes with so many open applications, 2 monitors and the bion hardware. But it's new and interesting. And I am getting more experience using Linux.
The Bion Hardware implementation is:
- Atmel Mega8 Microcontroller
- 1 K memory, 8 K instruction space
- electric speaker
- 4 bright, blue LEDs
The Project constitutes in the following:
- Get some idea of what Reinforcement Learning is.
- Understand the documentation and the code which is already written for the bions.
- Program a function, which will allow the bion to play short and simple songs.
- Program a few different short tunes into a given amount of bions (the bions which will be used for learning).
- Reinforcement Learning (RL) on the Bions Implementation
- Agent - individual bion.
- Action Representation -possible notes to play.
From each possible state, the bion could play only a limited number of nearby notes, so that the learning can be faster.
- State representation
- proximity or not
- interaction with other people in 4 different directions
- interaction with other bions from 4 different directions
- Award Representation
When the person approaches the bions they will start playing a song. If the person likes it , he/she will stay in proximity and a reward will be given if the person stays for the entire song. Otherwise no reward will be given.
back to top